Thursday, September 11, 2008

Airports

I have been visiting airports: LAX, LAS, BWI, LGA, PVD, CTL and back to LAX. I have flown for years. My first flights were in a seaplane in 1944 in northern Minnesota. Those were memorable. Since my family tends to live in far-flung parts of the country (now, at least, they are all in the good ol' USA), we all are used to the commercial flight biz.

Some observations --- not unique to me, of course:

All airports look alike. OK, there are slot machines at LAS. That was the only distinguishing feature in the five I just visited.

The travelers and gate employees are also the same.

The food outlets are different in each airport, but somehow they are still the same with only a hint of regional cuisines.

The passengers pass their time, and there is lots of it, quietly and with resignation. Most seem to be largely occupied by electronic devices. Most of the rest are reading paperback books. A few are sleeping. I was following the trend with my BlackBerry and paperback book. Only one airport had TV and it was being studiously ignored.

There is almost no interaction between strangers. If interaction is necessary, it is polite.

Has anyone found a way to enliven the airport experience? Please tell me. And don't tell me to get in a nice walk. I am dragging my suitcase wherever I go. Literally.

No comments: