Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Catching up

No big projects are in store for me--except restoring my two tiny gardens in the Community Garden. They are 5' x 8'. One contains Dick's roses that I have resolved to take care of. The other grows vegetables. Swiss chard is my best crop. It should be obvious to me that in a climate that is usually warm or hot and has rain only in the winter that gardens need constant tending and watering. Well-----I haven't gone near them for about two months. I finally had time and energy last Sunday. Oh, they were pitiful. But there were some delightful signs that all was not lost. One Swiss chard plant had some new leaves and one tomato plant, despite being dried up, had a new baby shoot complete with a flower and hope of fruit. The roses had mostly dry leaves, but one bush had a bud just beginning to flower and a second bud. So all is not lost.

So I promise to go over there every other day and water and pull weeds and dig my fall garden. I ordered new seeds this morning.

The best lesson of gardening is that we are only helpers. Something else more tenacious does the growing.

No comments: