Thursday, October 23, 2008

High school reunions

Some people love high school reunions; others are 'lost' and wouldn't dream of attending. I once read a column (Sydney J. Harris in the Chicago Daily News) that we live our lives depending on how we think we were perceived in high school. We must prove (to ourselves?) that were not geeky/dumb/ugly or that we really are smart/good looking/popular. It makes enough sense to me that I have remembered it for upwards of 40 years. What do you think?

Anyway, I just attended my 55th reunion. I have no regular contact with my classmates although I do think well of most of them. We were about 250 graduates. Ninety-three persons including spouses attended. Many have joined me in moving to warmer climes. All conversations were cheery and positive. No talk of previous occupations and successes. No political, religious, health, or money talk. Children were sometimes interesting topics. Grandchildren were statistics, e.g., "5". Current activities were the most interesting with most enjoying their retirement years. Lots of good talk about those not present, but in contact with attendees.

What's not to like? I say, go if you can manage it. You will have fun and come away sure that you turned out OK.

No comments: